LUTV Blog Log #4
Friday was my third time producing the news for LUTV and being another Friday always holds a chance for some problems. Friday’s make me nervous mostly because there just not enough time to get everything together and help take charge of everyone to get everything prepared for class. On the other hand, I enjoy the challenge that comes from the minimum time that I have. It gives me that set of time and opportunity to learn while I work through it
The timing on Friday’s is the biggest challenge to overcome when I start producing. I get to the station around 9 but the stories aren’t ready to go until closer to 10. So when the stories were ready that only gives me about 2 and half hours to get everything done by the time the news starts.
Another challenge that poses for me is I hit a block once all my stories are in and the stacking of the show is finished. I have to get them approved and when nobody is there to approve the stacking then that takes more time away from my prepping.
Most recently when I had more stories stacked on Friday I then found out that some of them I needed to cut or re-stack because the show’s flow did not make sense. So I re-stacked the show and thankfully a majority of the stories were written, so I didn’t have to worry of that as much.
One thing that I was very proud of was how on top of everybody I stayed from beginning to end. There was one package that was in the newscast and only 5 people available to help write all the stories. I made sure all the video was shot, especially weather and that the stories were wrote before 11 hit.
Once my stacking was approved then the struggle began, the teases. This seems to be one of the hardest areas for myself because the creativity doesn’t flow as I would like it to. When I think a tease is creative and ready for news it then gets shot down. I do need to build up my creativity so that the teases don’t take up a majority of my newscast time.
Once it got to 30 minutes before the news started I was supposed to have the scripts printed out when I was still making sure proofreading was finished and that all my graphics were in. So time kept ticking away and when I finally printed out rundowns and scripts there was 10 minutes left.
The newscast went better than expected, I was only one minute light and there were very minimal mistakes from beginning to end. The stories all turned out well, line-up flowed together well, and there were plenty of graphics and video to go in the newscast. I would say that I could have done better but for the little time I had to put together this newscast and mistakes I made, overall it was a strong show.